All events for May 1, 2013
9:00 AM - 15th Annual Academic Festival
10:00 AM - Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions Information Table
5:00 PM - Burlington, VT happy hour
7:00 PM - 5/01 Boston
7:00 PM - 5/01 Chicago
7:00 PM - 5/01 New York CityTo view more information for these events select View all events at the bottom of the day.
All events for May 17, 2013
10:00 AM - Periclean Scholar Awards Ceremony & Honors Forum Senior Recognition
12:30 PM - Senior Varsity Athlete Recognition Luncheon
2:00 PM - Phi Beta Kappa Induction Ceremony
3:30 PM - Class of 2013 Parents Fund Ceremony
4:30 PM - President's ReceptionTo view more information for these events select View all events at the bottom of the day.
Lecture: "Effects of Alcohol on Intracellular Signals Regulating Axon Growth and Guidance"
Location: Palamountain Hall: Gannett Auditorium
Time: 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Speaker: Tara A. Lindsley, Ph.D. Professor, Center for Neuropharmacology & Neuroscience, Albany Medical College
Prenatal alcohol exposure is the leading known cause of birth defects and developmental disorders in the United States, resulting in fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASD) in 2-5% of live births. For the past 15 years, we have used state-of-the-art imaging and cell biological approaches in primary cultures of fetal rat hippocampal pyramidal neurons to identify cellular targets of ethanol that disrupt neuronal morphogenesis.
Dr. Lindsley will briefly trace the progression of her work, from early descriptive studies to more recent mechanistic studies, and will reflect on how trends in funding for alcohol-related research has impacted our research and continues to do so.Sponsor:
Skidmore-Union ADVANCE Grant 0820080 and The Charles Lubin Family Chair in Science
Tags: science talk
- To use the calendar: click on the grey headers in the right column to see features such as search categories and event details
- To view more information about an event: click the event name in the calendar grid
- To view all events for a specific date: click the date in the calendar grid or the gray plus sign that appears when a day has more events than displayed
- To search for an event: use the search box at the top of the calendar for keywords, or click on the Categories section in the right column to search by pre-selected categories
- To view another month in the calendar: click the letter in the upper left corner, or use the white arrows next to the month name
This service is for those without a valid Skidmore College email account.